It’s time to snuggle up and enjoy your favourite tummy-warming winter treats again, but this time around, let’s do it in a smarter and healthier way. Here are 5 healthier winter dessert/treat swaps to substitute the traditional versions.
1. Apple crumble
They say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. What better way to enjoy apples than with a well-done apple crumble and a cup of tea? The classic apple crumble can be loaded with sugar. Here’s a healthier version that uses less sugar and substitutes flour with oats.
- 3⁄4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp coconut oil
Visit the healthy fitness meals website for instructions on how to make it.
2. Chocolate muffins
What beats a warm cup of coffee or tea with chocolate muffins as a tummy-warming afternoon snack? Not much. Here’s a healthier chocolate muffin recipe to try. What’s more? This recipe is flourless!
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp raw cacao powder / regular cocoa powder
- ½ t bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sweetener of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts plus 1 tbsp for topping
- Optional: 1/3 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips (recommended)
Visit the Lisa Raleigh blog for recipe instructions.
Pssst. Did you know that Multiply Premier members get 25% off Lisa Raleigh’s Moxie Programme? Lisa Raleigh is a well-known personal trainer, fitness and life coach who is no stranger to South Africans.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter natural and organic
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup organic rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
Visit Aninas-Recipes for the rest of the ingredients and recipe instructions.
4. Malva pudding
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 egg 3 tablespoons no-added-sugar apricot jam
- ¼ cup milk (almond/rice/soy/cows)
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
Visit Lizanne Maar’s blog for the sauce ingredients and recipe instructions.
- Graham crackers
- Almond butter
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
Save on your winter treats with Momentum Multiply
You may also want to see this post on some of our favourite delicious winter soup recipes.