Your Healthy Heart Score gives you a good indication of your current health and shows you if you are causing long-term damage to your health. A green Healthy Heart Score lets you know you’re on track to living a longer, healthier life. What’s more, if you score green, you get 100 points to help boost your Multiply status.
Here’s how to score green:
1. Diet – Eat more fruit and vegetables which contain vitamins and minerals that can help prevent heart disease. Try to also limit your red meat intake as the saturated fat found in animal meat increases cholesterol levels.
2. Exercise – Moving regularly makes your heart stronger, lowers blood pressure and reduces your risk of heart disease. Get your heart rate pumping by working out for at least 30 minutes, three to four times a week.
3. Alcohol – Moderation is key. Too much alcohol can increase blood pressure and fat levels in your heart so limit your alcohol intake to one or two drinks per day. Try to have a few alcohol-free days during the week.
4. Stress – Anxiety, depression and worry play a significant role in your risk of developing heart problems. Manage financial stress by planning properly and getting help from a financial adviser. You can also beat workplace stress by exercising and applying relaxation techniques.
5. Sleep – Adequate sleep is crucial to a healthy lifestyle, body, mind and heart. Aim to sleep for a minimum of seven to eight hours a night. And no scrolling mindlessly on your phone before bed!
6. Smoking – Smoking harms not just the heart but almost every organ in the body. If you smoke, stop. Limit your exposure to second-hand smoke as well.
Remember, you get one free health assessment a year so book yours now at your nearest Dis-Chem or Pick n Pay pharmacy or at a Multiply-affiliated pharmacy or biokineticist to get your Healthy Heart Score.