The festive season is here! If you’re like us, you’re probably determined to make this one a memorable one to make up for the year we had. Before we get into that, let’s explore some practical ways to stay healthy this festive season amidst all the festivities.
Fight to stay active
Exercise is just as important during the holidays as any other time of the year. The question is not whether you want to exercise or not, but how you want to exercise. If the idea of going to the gym isn’t inspiring you to get active, there are many other ways to burn calories.
- Strap on your fitness device and head to the mall for a shopping marathon. Visit plenty of shops to compare prices before you commit to purchasing. Not only will that save you money, but you will be closer to achieving your goal to walk 10 000 steps in a day to earn an active day.
- Enjoy your time off and go for an early morning jog/run.
- Chase the kids around the garden or park.
Be mindful of what you are eating
Nothing beats that big family lunch or the small treats in between. It’s good to enjoy them, but we must be conscious of what we are eating. Healthy eating does not always have to mean eating boring food. Replace some of your favourite treats with smarter alternatives.
- Replace ice-cream with frozen yoghurt,
- Candy with dried fruit,
- Fizzy drinks with water, and
- Bake/grill instead of frying.
The key is to work your festive season events and activities around your health regime, and not the other way around. If you’re looking for activity inspiration, read this articleon activities to enjoy with the family these holidays.